Merino categories were by far the most popular breed on AuctionsPlus, with a total of 9.57 million head listed, or 46% of total listings since 2016 – followed by Border Leicester/Merino categories which had 2.23 million head or 11% of total listings since 2016.
While varying across breeds and categories, most of the lines prices for the September 2021 quarter averaged 16% above the same period in 2020, and up 93% on average since the same quarter in 2016.
Five selected breeds and categories are briefly detailed below.
Merino Ewe Lambs
- Merino ewe lambs in the third quarter of 2021 averaged $232/head, which is up 20% from the same period in 2020 and 209% from the lowest price recorded in Q1 2016.
Border Leicester/Merino Ewe Hoggets
- First cross ewe hoggets averaged $351/head during the September quarter, rising 12% on the same period in 2020.
- From the lowest price recorded in the timeframe, at $148/head in the second quarter of 2018, hoggets prices have risen by 137%.
White Suffolk/Merino Mixed Sex Lambs
- Mixed sex lambs averaged $163/head in the third quarter of 2021, representing a 20% increase from the same period in 2020. This represents a 78% increase in prices since the lowest recorded price in Q1 and Q2 2016 of $92/head.
- Australian White SIL Ewes
- Australian White SIL ewes recorded a 155% increase in the average price received during the September quarter, at $696/head. This also represents a 314% rise in price since the categories low in the first quarter of 2017, at $168/head
- Composite Ewes
- Composite ewes averaged $228/head in the third quarter of 2021, climbing 23% from the same quarter in 2020. From the lowest recorded average, of $105/head in the second quarter of 2018, the category has increased 117%.